Today is September 11, 2013.
- For today’s offering, I’ve added the digits of the day, month, and year (9+11+2+0+1+3=26).
- Then, I added one, because it adds a lot of flavor to the snippet. =)
- You get 27 sentences (mostly dialogue) today!
During August and September, I am focusing on editing the paired volumes,Chameleon’s Dish (Trueborn Weft series), and Bounded by a Nutshell (Trueborn Warp series).
This week, we finally learn what caused Tisira’s disappearance.
This rough-draft passage is lightly edited to remove obvious gaffes and for style. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I have written an alternate version of this scene. I don’t have an online version of this experimental version. It’s a far more sexual scene, and Spock is much less in control than McCoy is. Like last week, I expect that I will take elements of both, and combine them in the next draft. I am especially interested in opinions on this dialogue and Spock’s emotional state…likely to be very different in the next draft!
“Ambassador Spock, is it possible that one of your daughters was alone in this chamber approximately 4.942 minutes ago?” His eyes scanned the room; fixed on the open cabinet and the nest of blankets within. “Perhaps, within a radius of 5.51 meters from that corner?
“Affirmative. Tisara was asleep in that cabinet when I left this chamber 6.368 minutes ago. It seems unlikely that she would have awoken and left in the intervening time. However, she is not here, now, nor can I sense her presence in my mind, although my wife and daughter can sense her dimly.” He studied Semil; the man appeared grim, even for a Vulcan scientist. “Have you some pertinent information that accounts for these facts?”
“Affirmative.My colleagues and I have been testing a focused temporal distortion wave. The device was in initial testing; there was no intended target. The readings indicate that a female Vulcanoid child was captured by the beam.”
“And sent where? And when?” That was Leonard, pushing forward to confront Semil. “‘No intended target’, eh? Haven’t you people heard of safety precautions? How the hell did this happen?”
Semil said nothing for a moment, and his brow lifted in consternation at the emotional assault. Spock considered interceding, but he decided instead that Leonard had asked all the questions he would have, and far more succinctly.
The scientist finally drew a centering breath, then said, in a neutral tone, “We have not yet ascertained the location or point in time the beam intersected. The device is highly experimental, and in the first testing of the prime prototype. There has, as yet, been no way developed to adjust the temporal or geographic settings. Nor were we aware that the intervening walls were not impervious to the beam.”
“That’s a hell of a lot of uncertainty to accept, when people are living here.”
There we have it – the reason for Tisira’s disappearance – and no way to trace where -or when – she has been sent. What will Spock do next?
No, I’m not telling you – not yet. There’ll be more, next week, and every Wednesday in September.
There are a few songs that speak to me of the connection between Spock and Tisira. Here’s a particularly family-friendly and sweet one from my favorite singer/songwriter. You are most welcome!
And now – release the comment hounds ! =)
Want more WIPpets? Click the cute little blue froggy to read what other #WIPpeteers are writing, or to join in yourself! We love new folks, around here!
- WIPpet Wednesday: Escape Upon the Forge (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday for June 26: Marital Disharmony (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Vanished! (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Little Girl Lost (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Yearning and Denial (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- World Premiere Release of Star Trek “The Final Frontier” by Renowned Comic Book Artist Alex Ross (prweb.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Henry and the Faerie-Child (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Words, Words, Words (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Let’s get physical! (gweberblog.wordpress.com)