It’s #WIPpet Wednesday again!
My WIPpet Math:
Today is July 24,2013.
- Adding the month and the date (7+24=31) takes us to 31 sentences.
- But that leaves us awkwardly in the midst of the interaction, so…
- Adding the digits of the year (2+1+0+3=6), means that you get another 6sentences, for a total of 37 sentences.
- And that takes us to the end of the conversation already in progress.
Throughout July’s CampNaNoWriMo, I am offering Niaan and Spock‘s childhoods, and how they came to be husband and wife, in the Trueborn Genesis WIPs, The Stars are Fire (Niaan), and Perchance to Dream (Spock).
In this excerpt, Spock, a child of seven, has gone missing, following a heated dispute with his Vulcan father, Sarek. His human mother, Amanda, has been intensely worried for him, but Sarek maintains that he has gone to find the peace of solitude and meditation after the conflict. The situation between the spouses has grown increasingly tense, over a course of days. Amanda has retreated to her study, where she has begun having extremely vivid and strange dreams about their son.
As with all these posts, this is NaNo-raw. I corrected a few obvious typos, and nothing more.
The chime rang at her door, and she sighed and signaled it to slide open.
Sarek stood uncertainly in the doorway, studying her, his face wearing the carefully neutral expression that said that he was troubled.
“Have you had word?” she asked, breathlessly.
“Spock will return when he is ready. I have heard nothing, and I feel that he is alive, and in no significant danger.” A pause. “I did not come to speak of our son, my wife.”
The clue to why he had was in his tone and in his phrasing. Amanda had known it would come, and still didn’t know how she would respond. Curiously, she heard herself intone, “Indeed?” as neutrally as any Vulcan might.
“Indeed. It has been three nights since you have retired for the evening in our chamber.”
An edge of wanting – always, desire was the one emotion that could best him. She chose not to acknowledge it, or how it brought fragments of the dreams swirling around her. “Has it been? I haven’t been counting.”
She turned back to her reading – she had been too unsettled, really, but it was something to pretend a focus on. She had already lost her temper with him, and was determined not to do it again.
“It has been.” A longer pause; she wasn’t responding as he had hoped, or even as he had expected. Amanda could feel his discomfort, but did nothing to ease it. “Will you – retire with me, this evening, my wife.”
“No, I don’t think so.”
The silence was deep this time, and pregnant with his emotions. Oddly, they seemed only to numb her, and she was fascinated to realize that, right now, it was she who was more fully in control.
“May I inquire as to the reason?” His voice was tight now; he had been wanting her longer than he had been willing to admit.
“You may inquire, Sarek. My answer is that I am engaged and at peace in this space, and I see no immediate need to leave it. Sleep well, husband.”
In Vulcan etiquette, the last was a dismissal, and still he stood, for a long moment, and Amanda could feel the intensity of his stare on her back, willing her to turn and come to him. She almost did – and then she thought of Spock, and held. She would not take the chance of Sarek overhearing her dreams, or of sensing them when they touched in the night.
He sighed audibly, and said, “Sleep well, my wife.” And then he was gone.
After he left, she started shaking, and the tears came.
So, there we are…a WIPpet only a day old! Feel free to comment!
Want more WIPpets? Click the cute little blue froggy to read what other #WIPpeteers are writing, or to join in yourself!
- Noveling Action Plan Progress: Revised June 24, 2013 (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Walking with Ghosts (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday for June 19: Edge of Madness; Edge of Desire (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Unbalanced Variables… (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Soulwounded (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday for June 26: The Bear Pit (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Upon Waking (shanjeniah.com)
- WIPpet Choice (inkandpapyrusblog.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Clothes (gweberblog.wordpress.com)
- Audi S7 Ad Features Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy (rumors.automobilemag.com)