It’s #WIPpet Wednesday again!
Today is June 26,2013.
- Adding the digits of the date (2+6=8) takes us to Chapter 8.
- Adding the month and the last two digits of the year (6+1+3=10), means that you get ten paragraphs.
Today, we have our last bitof Chameleon’s Dish for a few weeks- it and Bounded by a Nutshell are taking a July hiatus, so that I can be bringing you, instead, my July CampNaNo projects (two more intertwined novels), as they are being created.
Beginning next week, we will explore Niaan and Spock’s childhoods, and how they came to be husband and wife, in the Trueborn Genesis WIPs, The Stars are Fire (Niaan), and Perchance to Dream (Spock).
But, for now, we return to our little girl lost in the woods, unsure of where and when she is…
This scene takes place before the injuries I referenced in After the Fall and Upon Waking. Tisira knows who she is, and her memory is intact, other than during times when she seems to be gripped by a fever she calls soulfire, and which she knows comes to her through Father, who is desperate to have her back with him.
As we join her, she is just awakening from one of these spells…
Tisira came back to herself in a rush that drove her to her knees. She was huddled, naked and trembling, in the snow, in the midst of a small clearing …nowhere she knew she had been.
There was a pit a tenpace before her, and it was rank with the scent of bear…she scented, very carefully, keeping completely still lest the animal was still there…but the scent was not fresh and vital. The faint decay of early death was upon it – it was below freezing now, but had not been, in the day.
It was a day she could not remember.
All her memory held was the endless round of feeling Father, feeling them all, through Father – and having them ripped away again, and again, until her soul could hold no more joy and sorrow.
And through it all had been the flames, always the flames, singing, burning, consuming, and leaving nothing of her own free will….
She came aware enough to Change, and the solace of fur was delightful. She was tempted to dig a nest into the snow and curl within it, nose tucked under a paw.
But there was the pit, and the smell of bear, and death, even stronger with her Change- sharpened senses.
There was a boulder at the edge of the pit, and it bore her footprints, half filled in with snow. She had waited here – but for what?
She returned cautiously to the boulder, crept up, and peered down, ready to leap up again at the slightest sound or movement from the animal.
But the bear was dead, along with the half-eaten sheep it shared the pit with…
How did the bear die? Why is Tisira there? What’s up with this memory loss and the flames…?
Tune in during August and September, when this WIP goes into edits, to learn more!
Want more WIPpets? Click the cute little blue froggy to read what other #WIPpeteers are writing, or to join in yourself!
- WIPpet Wednesday: Soulwounded (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- My Inaugural #WIPpet Wednesday Post….Chameleon’s Dish, Chapter Fifteen (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- Noveling Action Plan Progress: Revised June 24, 2013 (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Clothes (gweberblog.wordpress.com)
- What She Deserves – a WIPpet post (manyworldsmanyminds.wordpress.com)
- Not another WIPpet Wednesday! (elainejeremiah.co.uk)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Upon Waking (shanjeniah.com)
- Wait a While, While I Wrap Up:ROW80 Update, June 11,2013 (shanjeniah.com)