Until July, I will be posting excerpts from two of my Trueborn WIPs (works-in-progress);
Chameleon’s Dish, a Trueborn Weft Series fantasy novel.
Bounded by a Nutshell, a Trueborn Warp Series Star Trek fan fiction novel.
These two series are interwoven. The plan is to offer the Warp Series fan fiction freely, and eventually publish the original fantasy Weft Series for sale.
About This WIPpet:
This passage comes from Bounded by a Nutshell.
Spock and his wife, Niaan, are aboard the Enterprise, en route to Gateway, the planet that houses the Guardian of Forever, a time-travel entity, to seek help from Spock’s son Zar, in the past of the planet Sarpeidon. (If that’s confusing, and you are interested, you might watch the Star Trek Original Series episode “All Our Yesterdays” and the A.C. Crispin books Yesterday’s Son and Time for Yesterday, which influenced this scene.
It’s a bit of an interlude, with foreshadowings of the chaos to come…and, like all of these pieces, it is rough. It will change, maybe a lot.
Today is June 19,2013
- Adding the digits of the date (1+9=10) takes me to Chapter 10.
- Adding the month and the last two digits of the year (6+1+3=10), means that you get ten shortish paragraphs, with dialogue.
But I will be mad, then…..soon. If I am not indeed mad now….
“Am I, Kiral?”
Awareness of where he was, and with whom, rushed in, and he sagged for a moment against Niaan, who supported him with her strength and certainty.
“Are you what, Spock? Checking up on your sanity level again, or something else?”
“Am I mad?”
“Yes. Not raving or dangerous, but you won’t operate within your normal parameters with any regularity until – well, I’m guessing no matter what your exact level of functioning is right now, you know when you’ll be back to life as you knew it.”
“When the Burning has passed, and the embers have died….only then will I begin to return to myself.”
“You are yourself, now, husband. And you will remain so.” Sensing his uncertainty, his apprehension and anticipation at Zar’s nearness, she slipped languourously into his mind. She rubbed herself against him, and her latent, everpresent sensuality sent runners of heat through his veins, into the pleasure centers of his brain, and his nerves sprang to life, singing in tune….
“Will you dance, my wife?” He spoke aloud, bowing over their paired fingers. He felt a need, in this moment when it was possible, to court her, to offer her the small graces he was capable of. “Will you honor me with Matehunt?”
“I will, husband. I will dance, and I will Hunt with you -“
So, there you have it… a moment, poised at the edge of madness and desire, without toppling over.
Comments? Questions? Observations? I love feedback! Drop it in the comment receptacle below – and click on the button below to read more great excerpts from other #WIPpeteers!
- WIPpet Wednesday: Upon Waking (shanjeniah.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: Soulwounded (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- WIPpet Wednesday: After the Fall (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- #WIPpet Wednesday: Of Parenting and Passion (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- Noveling Action Plan, Revised May 20,2013 (shanjeniah.com)
- Noveling Action Plan Progress: Revised June 9, 2013 (shanjeniahstruebornjottings.wordpress.com)
- Read a Little…Rockin’ Revelations: ROW80 Update, June 16, 2013 (shanjeniah.com)
- A new start – WIPpet Wednesday (elainejeremiah.co.uk)
- Try a Little…Creative Sustenance: ROW80 Update, June 9, 2013 (shanjeniah.com)